The Cornerstone Community Center has strong roots that run deep into the community. In the early 1970’s the Half Century Club was formed by a small group of senior citizens having monthly meetings and potluck luncheons. In the early 1980’s community leaders foresaw the need for a community and senior center where community members could gather and connect to one another through service and recreation. This grass roots effort, with a generous contribution of land and a building shell from a local business person, Fred Chase, spurred the community to build and open its own center in 1984 with gifts of money, materials and labor. In the 1990’s DeForest, Windsor and Vienna formed a cooperative intermunicipal agreement to support and manage the daily operations of the Center.
The Center has achieved many milestones over the years:
- 2004 – the Center celebrated its 20 year anniversary and successfully conducted a community capital campaign to expand and renovate the Center. This project exemplified how the three local municipalities were unified in their support of the revitalized Center and making our community a better place for older adults and their families;
- 2006 – the Center celebrated its Grand Re-Opening with a parade and ribbon cutting. Commemorative tiles and bricks were displayed at the Center in recognition of those who helped to build and improve the Community and Senior Center;
- 2011 – the Center was accredited by the Wisconsin Association of Senior Centers, joining the ranks of 79 accredited Senior Centers in the state that uphold the highest standards and strive for excellence in programming. Every five years the Center undergoes a rigorous review of its administration and operations in order to be re-accredited;
- 2013 & 2015 – the former UW Health Clinic property was acquired in addition to the earlier purchase of an adjacent building and lot. We are now located at the cornerstone of the community and are positioned to meet the needs of future generations. The property acquisitions were accomplished with significant contributions from the Village of DeForest, the Village of Windsor, the Town of Vienna, DMB Community Bank, DeForest Area Foundation, support from an estate gift and several key community members coming together with personal contributions.
- 2023 New name: Cornerstone Community Center!
With great appreciation we wish to thank our donors, volunteers, staff and community leaders whose generosity and devotion continue to make the Cornerstone Community Center a wonderful place to gather, volunteer, help, and celebrate our community.